Constitution/ByLaws Revised November 2018
The Purpose of the Indian Hills Couples Golf Association is to organize and promote couples golfing activities.
II. Membership and Dues
Membership in the IHCGA is open to any male/female couple age 21 or older with a golf membership in the Indian Hills Country Club, both of whom meet the following qualification:
A. Initial membership requires any member to have an established (5 scores minimum – 18 hole) Indian Hills handicap of 39 or less.
B. You must sign up as a male/female couple and play the whole season with the same partner with the following three exceptions:
C. Membership may be renewed yearly by payment of dues. Membership renewal is not subject to any handicap requirements.
There shall be no limitation on total number of members. Membership dues shall be established and collected from members each year. The membership year shall begin on March 1 of each year and continue until February 28 (or 29) of the next year.
Lapsed memberships of at least one golfing season may be reestablished by meeting the initial membership requirements
III. Board of Directors
The primary function of the Board shall be to provide leadership and direction for the Couples Association in various golf associated social events.
i. The Board shall be composed of Seven (7) members elected by a vote of the membership of the association.
ii. Membership shall be a maximum of two (2) years.
iii. Membership shall be staggered; i.e., the senior members of the Board shall rotate off the board each year. New Board Members shall be elected each year to replace those rotating off.
iv. Board members shall not be eligible for re-election until a period of one year after leaving the board.
v. Due to the specialized knowledge required of the Website Master membership, the membership will be a two year renewable position and section ii., iii., and iv. above will not apply.
i. Each year, the President shall appoint a Nominating Committee to select nominees for the three/four vacancies on the Board. The committee shall be comprised of five (5) members. Two (2) members from the sitting board and three (3) members from the Association’s general membership. The chairman of the committee, appointed by the President of the Board, shall submit a list of nominees to the board for approval. Additional nominations may be made by any member of the association by submitting the name(s) of the nominee(s) to the Chairman of the Nominating Committee.
ii. The Board shall review and approve the list of nominees, and the approved list of nominees shall be submitted to the membership of the Association, as follows:
1. Prior to the last tournament scheduled for the year, the Nominating Committee shall announce the list of nominees. This list shall be posted to the website.
2. During the dinner of the last tournament scheduled for the year, a vote from the membership will be taken. This vote, by show of hands, will be to approve/disapprove the list of nominees as the incoming board for the next year.
The Board shall elect the following officers:
Vice President/Tournament Director
Assistant Tournament Director
Should a vacancy occur in the office of the President, the Vice President/Tournament Director shall assume the duties of the President for the remainder of the year. Should a vacancy occur in any other office, the President shall appoint a replacement for the remainder of the year.
The duties of the officers shall be as follows:
1. PRESIDENT - Has overall responsibility for all association activities, and has specific responsibility for the appointment of the Nominating Committee, and its Chairman. May appoint other Committees or functions as necessary. Communicate news to membership. Appoints a member of the association to review the accounting books yearly between October 1st and November 15th.
2. VICE PRESIDENT/TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR - Organizes and directs all tournament play, including date selection, formats, sign-up sheets, pairings, tee times, awards and presentations, and arrangements with the pro shop. Acts as President in the absence of the President. This position shall be a two year commitment.
3. ASST. TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR – Is in charge of operation of the tournament, coordinating with the starter, and collecting fees for all prizes and tournament expenses. Acts as Tournament Director in his/her absence. Shall be responsible for rules of tournaments and arising questions. Will check and help enforce proper handicapping for the couples.
4. SECRETARY – Keeps minutes of all board meetings, arranges publicity for association activities, conducts all official correspondence to membership, and information sent for Totem Scroll. Maintains the By-Laws/Constitution of the Couples Association. Assists the Vice President/Tournament Director in handling cash or gift certificates, prizes and purchases of trophies or other prizes to be awarded by the Couples Association.
5. MEMBERSHIP DIRECTOR/TREASURER – Solicits new members, collect all dues, maintains a membership roster, and is responsible for enforcement of the membership and/or tournament eligibility rules of the Couples Association. Also, keeps accurate financial records of all association income and expenses. The books of the Association shall be reviewed yearly between October 1st and November 15th by a member of the association, appointed by the President. The results of the review shall be communicated to the membership as soon as possible thereafter. This position is a consecutive two year commitment.
6. SOCIAL DIRECTOR – Makes all arrangements for pre and post play functions, including menus, fees, locations and publicity for the social portion of an event.
7. WEBSITE MASTER – Must have previous experience in current website software and language. Creates, adds, deletes and updates content on the ihcga.org website as provided by the committee members in a timely manner.
Meetings of the Board shall be held not later than February 1 of each year, and thereafter as deemed necessary. Board meetings shall be held at the discretion of the President, with concurrence of a majority of the Board.
A. All competition in the IHCGA shall be played in accordance with the Rules of Golf as adopted by the USGA, and as may be amended by local Country Club Rules applicable to Indian Hills Golf Tournaments. All disputed points will be decided by the Tournament Director and the Club Pro.
B. Couples Golf shall be comprised of 18-hole play. Eligibility for participation in the annual IHCGA Championship Tournament shall be limited to members having participated in not less than two prior Couples Tournaments in the current year, one of which can be a match play tournament.
C. Section 9-3/C of the Handicap Manual states that if you are competing from different tees, the tees with the higher rating will receive strokes based on the difference in rating.
At Indian Hills the rotations are
Seminole-Choctaw Choctaw-Cherokee Cherokee-Seminole
Silver 71.9 130 Silver 73.0 129 Silver 71.9 125
White 71.4 134 White 71.0 132 White 70.6 130
.5 2.0 1.3
In each instance the Silver Tees are the harder course, so those players would receive the additional strokes shown above. The .5 is rounded up to 1, and the 1.3 is rounded down to 1.
VI. Amendments to the By-Laws
Amendments to these By-Laws may be proposed and submitted to the Board at any time. Proposed amendments, approved by the Board, shall be submitted to the Association for approval. Amendments shall be effective following approval by a two-thirds majority of those members present.
Amendment 1: Under duties of the Membership Director/Treasurer: The books of the Association shall be reviewed yearly between October 1st and November 15th by three members of the association, appointed by the President. The results of the review shall be communicated to the membership as soon as possible thereafter.
Amendment 2 (10/14) – Under C. ELECTIONS, revised current list of nominations and voting by membership.
Amendment 3 (10/14) – Under D. OFFICERS, Membership Director/Treasurer was amended to become a combined Board position.
Amendment 4 (10/14) – Under D. OFFICERS, Website Master added as official Board position
Amendment 5 (10/14) – Under V. TOURNAMENTS, added C. Section 9-3/C of the Handicap Manual.
Amendment 6 (12/16) – Under D. OFFICERS, deleted one duty from Secretary, and moved one duty from the Social Director to Secretary.
VII. Ratification of Golf Committee Actions
All actions of the Golf Committee shall be subject to approval and ratification by the Club Management. Such approval shall not be unreasonably withheld.